Sunday, March 04, 2007

Oneonta 2007

I can't believe these snowshoes are from World War II...and I used them for over an hour...and they are still ok!

I had a great time this past weekend in Oneonta! I can't believe that my friend Cheryl, from college, has lived there over 3 years and this was the first trip I made out there. She's living with her boyfriend, Steve, his son - Alex, and Rex...her wired haired Hungarian bird dog (forgot the name of the breed)...you can find him here.

So I actually went up there to teach a few workshops at school on Friday, but the weather was really bad and school got cancelled! This actually worked out quite well for me, because I wasn't feeling well when Cheryl first woke me up to tell me school was cancelled. I actually went back to sleep (she and Steve went out to buy doors for thier house (that they gutted and are not remodelling)). I woke up...had breakfast, took drugs for my cramps, played with Rex and watched "The Longest Yard"...quite funny BTW...and worked up enough energy to work on my midterm for like an hour. When Cheryl and Steve got back, we went out to lunch at Athenos...I had a hamburger with feta cheese and Tziki sauce...something I ate was BAD because I felt like crap for a LONG TIME after that...we walked around town and saw a few neat shops. Then we went back to the house and vegged out! I think we watched 4 movies back to back..."The Chronicles of Riddick", "Finding Forrester", "Aliens vs. Predator" and "The Bourne Supremacy"...wow were those some great movies...I had never seen some of them before (all except Riddick). We didn't get to sleep until after 2am!

Some of my favorite lines...'cause I found a bunch in these movies, but the one I want to share with you is from "Alien vs. Predator".

One of the characters is putting a gun in her shoulder holster...the ice climber/explorer says, "you know I've never seen a gun save a person's life on the ice". The other woman replies, "I know, but it's like a condom, I'd rather have one and not need it, then not have one". THAT IS GOING TO BE MY NEW LINE =) Don't ya love me =)

Sunday morning, I woke up feeling great! We got dressed and headed over to Cheryl's friend and co-worker, Anne's house. She's such a great person! I enjoyed visiting with her...and love her art! From painted boxes in watercolor, to felted scarves, and collage work.

Anne meets Abby!


I can't believe we were visiting with Anne so long...we were at her house from 10:30am to 3:30pm! But the time went so quickly it didn't even feel like we were there 2 hours! We made leather bound journals and Anne has my handout so I think she's going to show the kids at school.

Then we headed over to Steve's dad's house - AKA "THE farm" - all 160 acres of it. It was quite scenic and I had a great time snowshoeing with Cheryl. Afterwards, we visited the cows and horses...and then had hot cocoa and pie with Steve's dad.

Cheryl leading the way...


It was such a lovely relaxing weekend...I didn't DO much but it was nice...and I'm ok with that! Cheryl wants to me to come visit...often...I don't know about the often part, but I will come back for another visit. She was telling me about a sailing trip in June...I've never sailed so it may be something new to try =)

ooh...funny story...we're eating pie...she farts...Steve's dad says, "You say something?" and she says, "It must be barking spiders!" OMG I almost fell off my chair! I miss Cheryl...she's such a hoot!
The air felt crisp and clean...it was quite warm while we were out...it was a gorgeous afternoon at the farm...next time Cheryl tells me we have to shoot clay pigeons =) Me with a gun...scary, huh!?!

Hope everyone had a lovely weekend!

7 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Actually, shooting clays is a lot of fun!!!!
I even have my own gun. Believe it? True.
Can't wait to see you, glad you had some time to catch your breath.

Heather

9:10 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

REALLY? Wow! I'll have to ask you about it the next time I see you =)

When will that be?

Miss ya!

10:43 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Saturday!!!

:)

12:57 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Gina, sounds like you had a nice weekend break! :-) I sent you an email at your yahoo account. If I don'tnhear from you by tomorrow afternoon, I'll send it to your work address.

L

10:21 PM  
Blogger Claire said...

Hellllllllooooooooo Gina- I did have such a great time as well, and laughed out loud at the picture of me and my new friend Abby on the couch. Come back soon! (and is the sailing trip you spoke of on the Clearwater (or equivalent?) If so, I was going to try to come this year. See ya!
The snow shoeing looked great.

Anne using Claire's account

6:22 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Laura,
I got your email...if you're going to Wishford Hall on March 31 maybe I can come over the day before to do the cally? Let me know if that's ok...otherwise I don't mind. This week is too much to get it done. So let me know.

Gina

8:31 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Anne,
How are you!?! Tell Claire I said hello as well =)

Clearwater is what I had in mind...waiting for Cheryl to email me the details to confirm on my end. If that's the case...see you in June =)

Snowshoeing was indeed fun...PLEASE drag Cheryl out to do it soon. She said she enjoyed it and was glad I "forced" her to go *s*.

Hope all is well.
G

8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home