Friday, May 15, 2009

drumming...

So I had my first private lesson yesterday and I think it went pretty well.

We worked on a few things...just seeing where I was at and the sounds that I made. He said I had a good foundation...so then we worked on tone and accents, how drumming lightly then loudly would make an impact in a song. I had heard people do this before, but hadn't actually capitalized on that myself. Pretty cool stuff!

Then we actually worked on slaps (which I hadn't ever done before) and then worked on incorporating them into songs. I have to remember to keep my hand relaxed! As soon as I start to think about it too much, my slap sounds like a doumb. I have a bunch of things to work on, but I think I made some progress.

My instructor said that eventually he wanted me to play with the band at their weekly show! I was like NO WAY! He said yup! So, we'll see. I'm not sure if I'm ready for that. I'm not saying it wouldn't be fun...I'm just saying I'd be afraid of f*cking up and making everyone else sound bad. THAT would be TRAUMATIC!

In the meanwhile, I am signing up for his 6 week series class and in addition to that 2 more privates. I'm really looking forward to working on everything and being more consistent.

A melody that is still with me from last night is a filler for masqum...

D S k S D k S

I like it...just have to practice it...I tend to not want to do the k S (or k t)...and accidentally switch hands S k (or t k)!

Practice, practice, practice!!!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home